Apple B Sauce – Healthy, Sweet and Just 2 Ingredients
Sometimes when it comes to getting your kids to eat their vegetables you need to be creative. You really need to be sneaky. If not they will down right refuse to eat them by spitting them out, hiding them in the high chair, feeding them to the dog or bursting into tears. Yeah, #thestruggleisreal my friends. Mommy can have a few tricks up her sleeve though to prevent these not-so-fun scenarios. Take this Apple B Sauce for example…0r should I say Apple Beet Sauce. Mind you my daughter is too young to really know what a beet is but she’s not afraid to show me she won’t eat roasted beets! And honestly, most kids wouldn’t. I know I sure as heck didn’t when I was a kid.
Beets are super healthy for you. They are a goldmine of goodness! These nutrient dense rubies are good for your heart, brain and body. And, one of my favourite things about beets is their beautiful colour: a lovely deep purple. Combine this with homemade apple sauce and the combo is stunning: a vibrant silky magenta.
My daughter, Kaliya, absolutely loves Apple B Sauce. She can’t get enough. Kaliya adores apple sauce so I decided to start adding steamed veggies when I pureed the apple to get her to eat more veg. It works like a charm. Mommy for the win! Being sneaky for a good cause.
Let me show you how to prepare this healthy and delicious snack.
To prepare the beet give it a good rinse, chop off the root then boil for about 45 minutes. It is ready when you can easily stick a skewer through it. Once your beet is cooked and the skin removed, chop them in to small chunks.
When the beets are almost finished cooking it is time to get those apples going. Peel and core the apples then chop them up. Next, throw them in the steamer and let them cook. This really doesn’t take long. They soften easily.
Now it is time to puree! Puree the beets first then add the steamed apple. Puree everything together and just look at that gorgeous colour. Voilá, all done!
If you try out this recipe take a picture and tag me on Instagram at thelittlemomaid.
Feel free to share this post!
Check out the Apple B Sauce Recipe below:
Apple B Sauce
Servings: 10 Prep: 10mins Cook: 1hr
- 1 medium beet
- 5 apples, peeled and cored
- Wash the beet and remove the root. Place the beet in a large pot of water, cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce to medium heat and let it continue to boil for 45 to 55 minutes. To check if the beet is ready stick a skewer in it. It should easily pass through.
- When the beet is ready, place it in a bowl of cool water. When it is cool enough to handle use your thumb to peel off the skin. Next, chop the beet into small chunks. Place them in a large heat resistant measuring cup and puree using an immersion blender.
- Next, chop the apples into chunks. Steam the apple for about 5-8 minutes or until softened. When they are ready scoop them out and add them to the beet puree. Puree the apples and the beets together until it is silky and smooth.
- Finally, let cool and serve.