Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake
Blueberries, Blueberries, Blueberries. Baskets of blueberries in my fridge just waiting to be baked. There are so many goodies to choose from, but this weekend I decided to whip up a Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake. It is perfect to start your mornings and is a great option for a weekend brunch.
This month we have had tons of blueberries in our house. They are in season and we have taken full advantage. My family and I went blueberry picking a couple times and did we ever stock up! We went to a sweet little local farm called Fruitière Réal Laliberté. This was my daughter, Kaliya’s, first blueberry picking experience. She absolutely loved it. She loved tasting the blueberries, watching the tractors go by and visiting the horses. On our first outing to the farm, when we went with friends, she was only willing to look at the horses. The second time, she pet one of their ears!
After each visit we came home with a TON of blueberries. All I could think about was the different ways I was going to bake these babies up! I love any baked good with blueberries in it. I am sharing with you my Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake. With a subtle hint of lemony flavour, this breakfastcake is loaded with blueberries and is coated with a sprinkling sugar.
Are you ready to bake a Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake for your family? Let me show you how you can:
To begin, grab a small mixing bowl and whisk 2 cups of flour, with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Next, combine the milk, plain yogurt and the lemon juice. Set it aside. You will then toss the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour to coat them well. This is to help prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake while it is baking in the oven.
In a large bowl, use your fingers to rub the lemon zest with a ½ cup of sugar. Rub, rub, rub, until it has a lovely lemony aroma. MMMMmm it smells so fresh and delicious. Next, whisk in your eggs, followed by the vanilla extract and canola oil.
Ditch the whisk, and grab yourself a spatula! Pour half of your flour mixture over the egg mixture and stir until it is well combined. Pour in the remainder of the flour and gently stir and push the flour into the batter. Your batter will be thick and look like dough. Now, take that milk mixture you had previously set aside and pour it over your batter. Gently stir until all the liquid is absorbed.
Afterwards fold in your flour coated blueberries then transfer the bake batter into a lined 8×8 baking pan. Spread the batter evenly in the pan, then sprinkle with a ½ tablespoon of sugar. The sugar coating will leave you with a lovely shimmery crisp outer layer. Finally, place your Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake in the oven and try to patiently wait for it to bake!
If you gave this Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake a try, please tag me on Instagram at @thelittlemomaid. I’d love to know how it turned out. Also, if you’re up for it, please share, share, share! Thanks a bunch!
What are some of your favourite treats to bake up with blueberries? Do you have a brunch staple that you like to share with your family and friends?
Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake
Prep: 20 mins Cook: 50 mins Servings: 9 large slices
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ c whole milk
- ¼ c plain yoghurt
- Lemon: Zest (about 1tbs) and Juice (about 4 tbs)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ c canola oil
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 c blueberries
- ½ tbs granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and line or spray an 8×8 baking dish.
- Whisk together the 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In small bowl whisk together milk, yogurt and lemon juice. Set aside. Next, toss the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour. Coat them well.
- In separate bowl, using your fingers, rub the ½ cup of sugar and lemon zest together until it becomes fragrant and well combined. Whisk in the eggs. Next, add in the vanilla extract and the oil.
- Pour ½ of the flour mixture into the egg mixture and stir using a spatula. When it is well combined, stir in the remainder of the flour. Gently stir in the milk mixture until it is well absorbed.
- Fold in the blueberries, then transfer the cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.