Baked Quinoa Carrot Bites
Busy days are hectic and chaotic. It’s even worse when there is nothing to snack on to help me power through the day! For those busy and stressful days I’ve got a delicious and healthy powerhouse snack. The Baked Quinoa Carrot Bites helped me get through some of my crazy days. Take the other day, for example, I had a lot on my to-do list and a cranky sleep-deprived toddler on my hands. Kaliya refused to have her afternoon nap! These little healthy bites were a welcome snack when we needed a pick me up.
As much as possible I try to have healthy snacks for my family on hand and these Baked Quinoa Carrot Bites definitely deliver. These delicious snacks are packed with quinoa, carrots, oats, and coconut.
Let’s Talk Ingredients:
Quinoa packs a lot of punch and is dubbed a super food. It is high in dietary fiber and is a great source of plant based protein.
Carrots seem so simple and unassuming but they are a great root vegetable to add t0 your diet. They are rich in antioxidants such as beta-carotene and are great for your eyes, cardiovascular health, immune system and skin.
Now, let’s talk about oats. A food I can’t get enough of! What’s not to love about these fiber rich grains that are packed with vitamins, effective in helping to lower cholesterol and reducing blood sugar and helping you feel fuller longer?
And finally, coconut. My sweet sweet coconut! I am slightly obsessed. Coconut is a great source of healthy fats, fiber and vitamins. The biggest draw for me is the delicious taste and the way it smells!
Now let me show you how simple it is to prepare a batch of these Baked Quinoa Carrot Bites!
To begin you will need to grate those carrots. To speed up the process use a food processor with the grater attachment. If not, do it the good ol’ fashioned way and use a hand grater.
Next, line a bowl with a lint-free cloth or some paper towels. Then place the grated carrots in the bowl and sprinkle with salt. Toss the carrots so they are evenly coated with the salt. This will help to get rid of the excess carrot juice. Wait about 5 to 10 minutes then give the towel a big SQUUEEEZZZEEE! Carrot juice anyone??
Then it is time to throw all your ingredients into a large mixing bowl! A one stop shop for quinoa, carrots, oats, coconut, cheese, spices, and an egg! Now get your hands in there and mixing it all up!
Time to form those little bites! Grab a handful of the mixture and compact it in your hand. Doing this will help keep the mixture together. Next, form it into a ball, lay it on the baking sheet then gently flatten it. Bake for 15 minutes then flip ‘em and bake for another 15! Voilá! Baked Quinoa Carrots Bites ready for the snacking!
If you make this recipe take a picture and tag me on Instagram at thelittlemomaid. Also, please take a quick second to share! Thank you 🙂
What are some of your healthy go-to snacks? I’d love to hear what you whip up for your families!
Here is the recipe:
BAKED QUINOA CARROT BITES
Prep: 25mins Cook: 30mins Servings: 15
- 2 cups fine grated carrots
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup fine and unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, grate your carrots. The simplest and fastest way to do this is with a food processor with the grater attachment. Place the grated carrots in a bowl lined with strong paper towel or a lint-free cloth. Sprinkle with salt, toss the carrots then let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Then squeeze out excess liquids.
- As you wait for the carrots to be ready, place all the other ingredients in a mixing bowl. When the excess liquid has been squeezed from the carrots place them in the mixing bowl. Next, using your hands, combine all the ingredients.
- Grab a small handful of the mixture and compact it in your hand. This will help the mixture hold together. Then form into a ball and place it on a lined baking sheet and gently flatten.
- Finally, bake at 375F for 15 minutes then flip and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
They are ready to be enjoyed!