Creamy Tuna Casserole – Easy, Tasty, Comfort Food
Creamy Tuna Casserole
Okay, so tuna casserole has a bit of a bad rap. I’ll admit I hadn’t had tuna casserole since I was a kid. It was never something I really thought of making because tuna just seemed unexciting. Well let me tell you, this recipe is anything but boring. This Creamy Tuna Casserole is tasty and has a little kick!
This recipe is a keeper in our house. I make it quite often! It’s easy to put together which is a big plus in my book!
Another plus, this tuna casserole has veggies like carrots, mushroom, onions, sweet peas and spinach. It can be a real struggle to get little ones to eat their veggies. When veggies are combined with a creamy sauce, cheese and noodles your kids won’t put up a fight!
Dice your onions. Try not to tear up; I dare you. 🙂 It’s impossible for me, I’m always in tears. Next, chop your mushrooms. Heat the oil in a skillet then saute your onions and mushrooms. Dice the carrot and throw it in. Toss in minced garlic, because YUM!! I love garlic.
Next, sprinkle in those herbs and spices! Add in the oregano, thyme, hot chili powder, salt and pepper. The kitchen should be smelling lovely!
Now on to the creamy-cheesy goodness. Whisk the cream of mushroom soup and milk together. Then add the onion powder and garlic powder. Stir in some grated cheese. Get those cooked egg noodles, sauteed veg and tuna into the creamy goodness. Next, you want to pour in those beautiful sweet peas and give it a stir.
Finally, transfer everything into your lined casserole dish. Sprinkle on the rest of your cheddar cheese then top with the buttered cracker crumbs. What a delicious sight to behold! Don’t admire it too long. The quicker it’s in the oven, the quicker you can dig in! Don’t forget to put on the broiler in order to get that gorgeous golden crust. It’s my favourite part!
If you whip up this casserole take a picture and tag me on Instagram at thelittlemomaid. Feel free to share this post too!
Here is the recipe:
Creamy Tuna Casserole
Servings: 8-10 Prep: 25mins Cook: 35mins
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 cup chopped spinach (optional)
- 2 ½ cups eggs noodles
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 ½ cups grated cheese, divided
- 2 cans flaked tuna, drained
- ¼ teaspoon hot chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 crackers, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a 9×13 casserole dish with parchment paper.
2. Heat oil in skillet. Add in onion and mushrooms; saute until the onions are translucent. Add in carrots, onion, salt and pepper, thyme, oregano and hot chili powder. Stir and cook until carrots are softened.
3. Meanwhile, whisk milk and cream of mushroom soup in large mixing bowl. Whisk in garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper if you like spicier food. Next, stir in about 1 cup of the grated cheese.
4. Boil the egg noodles according to package directions. Once they are drained and pour into the creamy mixture along with the sauteed veggies and tuna. Give it a stir so everything is well coated.
5. Next, pour the mixture into your prepared casserole dish. Spread it evenly with a spatula. Next, sprinkle on the remainder of the cheese. Combine the cracker crumbs and the melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole. Bake for 30 mins. Then turn on the broiler and cook until the crackers and cheese are golden brown.
6. Let sit for 5 minutes. Finally, serve and enjoy.